Friday, May 14, 2010

6KY Perth WA 1206 kHz QSL and Audio



It was sensational to hear Australia on mediumwave for the first time in August 1985. I nearly fell off my chair with disbelief when I stumbled onto 1206 kHz while dxing with the FRG7 and 30 metre longwire antenna at Sandbaai

A programme of easy listening music got through with remarkable peaks and turned out to be 6KY Tuart Hill WA. Chief Engineer K Cantelo kindly verified my report with a letter and car sticker.

Audio 

A recording of the first time I heard 6KY from across the Indian Ocean - the recording was made on the 16th August 1985 at 1641 UTC and is available here or by clicking onto the play icon below (The electrical noise pulse originated from the cassette tape deck which I used to make the recording).  It was a pleasant surprise to hear the "6KY Nice and Easy" id for the first time! 
The station became a good indicator for the mediumwave reception from Australia during the middle 1980s despite the modest 2kw output.

Brief History

6KY began broadcasting in October 1941 on 1210 kHz. In 1978 the frequency was changed to 1206 kHz. The station moved to FM in 1991.

2 comments:

tomovn@aol.com said...

i was wondering if you could please help me i am the owner of a car windowscreen wih a 6ky sticker on it.It depleats a hand givivg a victory sign and i was wondering if you could please let me know what years this was used as a advertising logo for your radio station.My e-mail adress should you be able to help me is tomovn@aol.com.Thank You

Anonymous said...

The 6KY sticker to which you refer dates back to the early 1970's. 6KY was, until July 1976, a Top 40/Rock station. The stickers were called 'Flash Fingers', although listeners, of which I was one, usually called them sticky fingers.

6KY abruptly changed format to Beautiful Music on July 5th 1976. That format remained until 1983, when it switched to talk. Star Station 6KY as it was known failed and it returned to music as 'Nice and Easy 6KY'

In 1991, 6KY won the right to convert to FM and became KY-FM, later MIX 94.5, the name it bears today. Hot AC formatted MIX 94.5 is Perth's top rating radio station.